Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC)

Effective July 1, 2015, Minnesota will have a new reporting system for the public, and mandated reporters, to report suspected abuse of vulnerable adults.

The Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) will be a centralized place for the public to call in reports of suspected abuse.  It will be staffed 24/7.  When calls come in, the intake person will send the information about the suspected abuse to the appropriate lead investigative agency.  This should eliminate confusion about where and who people should call.  Mandated reporters, such as law enforcement, educators, doctors and nurses, will be able to submit reports of suspected abuse through a new web-based system.

The number to call at MAARC if you suspect abuse of a vulnerable adult is:  1-844-880-1574.

Detailed information on MAARC can be found on the Department of Human Services website.

A Ward’s Right to an Attorney

attorney right

Does a person under guardianship have the right to an attorney?

Yes! A person under guardianship in Minnesota has the right to an attorney in any court proceeding and for the purpose of petitioning the court.   This right is set forth in the Bill of Rights of Ward and Protected Person, Minn. Stat. 524.5-120.  Once you are appointed as guardian, it’s your responsibility to make sure the ward or protected person has an attorney, if he or she wants one (or you think it’s necessary).  If there are sufficient funds, a guardian can hire an attorney privately.  If there are not sufficient funds (the ward is IFP -in forma pauperis), the court will appoint an attorney to represent the ward and the fees will be paid for by the county.  Each county has different policies on how much an attorney for the ward is reimbursed.