Conservator Consent to Deed of Owner Spouse

Conservator DeedWhat do you need to convey title to a piece of real estate that is in your own name only, but your spouse is under conservatorship?


The Minnesota Title Standards require 3 things:

  1. Certified copy of letters of conservatorship;
  2. Certified copy of order of probate court authorizing conservator to consent for the incompetent spouse to the deed of the owner;
  3. Deed executed by owner and consent executed by the conservator by endorsement thereon.

See Minnesota Title Standards I-G-2 and Minn. Stat. 507.04

As a practical matter, this will involve the conservator petitioning the probate court for an Order allowing the conservator to consent to the conveyance.  Most courts will do this ex-parte, without a hearing.  The attorney should submit a Petition to Consent to Conveyance by Owner Spouse and a proposed Order.  However, some courts may require notice to Interested Persons and a hearing.  Therefore, the owner spouse should work with the incapacitated spouse’s conservator as soon as he/she plans on listing and selling the real estate, so that a potential sale/closing is not delayed.


Subscribe to Minnesota Guardianship Blog via Email

Enter your email address to Minnesota Guardianship Blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Contact Us

Call Us 952-943-3919

Spence Legal Services

12800 Whitewater Drive, Suite 100 Minnetonka, MN 55343 Fax: 763-447-3661 Map and Directions

Appointments Available By Request

Edina Minneapolis – North Loop Bloomington St. Louis Park Woodbury

Subscribe to Minnesota Guardianship Blog via Email

A blog about all things guardianship and conservatorship.

Copyright 2018 | Disclaimer | Legal Notice | Another site by Conroy Creative Counsel